Ones that come to mind.
1. Have a regular cartoon in a publication.
2. Submit cartoons to publications in the hope that they will buy/publish them.
3. Be commissioned by individuals, companies, publications, book publishers, etc.
4. Post cartoons on the internet and sell merchandise.
5. Post cartoons on the internet and find sponsorship.
I am sure that this is not an exhaustive list.
I have tried to do no 1, mainly. I have never really done very much of no 2, though a lot of cartoonists do. I have done no 3, but am not usually very good at it. I probably shouldn’t say that, but, well, there you go. I have never succeeded with number 4 because I am not good enough at the technical aspects and so give up. I like the idea of no 5. I don’t really know anyone who does it, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t be possible as that is the way a lot of websites fund themselves.
How about you? (If you’re a cartoonist, but I’m sure wisdom can be gained from other disciplines.)
Ideas, thoughts and suggestions welcomed. I am particularly thinking about the best way to fund cyclingcartoons.com. Yes, I know, I should have worked that out by now.